Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

Can my indonesian wife (married in both australia and

Customer Question

Can my indonesian wife (married in both australia and Indonesia )make a claim in a divorce for land i bought before marriage and what claim canshe make on my Australian super
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 11 months ago.

Under Australian law you are each entitled to a fair share of your combined assets, whether in Australia or overseas and whether obtained before or after you were married. This includes superannuation.

When deciding what is fair consideration is given to what each of you contributed to the relationship and asset pool and whether there are special factors such as where one of you has or had primary care of a child of the relationship or where one of you has health issues which may impact on your ability to support yourselves.

Only a lawyer with a detailed knowledge of your family history and asset and income situations can give you a firm estimate of how the assets should be divided, but I trust the above assists your understanding.

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.

Patrick