Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I was verbally told i was fired from my manager i let my

Customer Question

I was verbally told i was fired from my manager i let my class know and they asked me where i was going to teach and i told them now they have cancelled there enrollment with the old company and have followed me. Just wondering how serious the old company could take this if they found out as i was just informed that its illegal to tell them where i am going whilst i was still working there.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Do you have the contract you singed when you started work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in clause 7 it states they must give 2 weeks written notice when i told her this she back peddle and say she didnt say this however i secretly recorded this as she came over to my house
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

So are you terminated or not, has she taken it back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She claims that i am not which has me very confused as she verbally told me that i had 2 weeks left and of work and i may not get paid as they feel i havent taught to there expectations so i have to work for free for the 2 weeks
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

You have to be paid until your notice period expires. If they do not want you to work the notice period then they have to pay you out.

If you believe it is unfair and harsh you can file an application for unfair dismissal. You have 21 days.

You have to be paid and make sure you are.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep however can they go after me for having their students follow me to another college
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

They cannot do that unless you have a clause in your contract that stipulates that you will not compete with them and steal their students. Is there anything like that in your contract?