How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 43916
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought appliances from the good guys exceeding $6500,

Customer Question

hi there, i bought appliances from the good guys exceeding $6500, having installed the stove only 2 months ago the stove top stopted working , since then i have rang westinghouse and explained the problem, westinghouse gave me phone no for a repair man , i rang the next day to the repairman and he said he was on holidays , next day i rang westinghouse back for another repair man and got a list of phone nos, i rang another of thier repair man and he was good enough to come and look at the stove the same day and advised me that the stove was faulty and needed a new part ( bear in mind the stove is only 4 months old), the part took another week to arrive and the repairman came back and told me that not only the part that was needed it also needed a brand new console, now i have to wait for another week without a stove, this will be 4 weeks without cooking on a stove which is basically brand new, and a possability this might not even work, i know that if the stove cant be fixed in 3 visits i will recive a new stove, which will need to be installed , which could take another 2 weeks for delivery and installment, my question is , am i intitled to any compensation from westinghouse for not able to cook for a possible 6 weeks , with a family of 4 people we cant live off eating out and take away every darn night, regards ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

There is no compensation as such set out in the act. But there is no harm in asking.

As a result of the failure to repair in time and the item being faulty, have you incurred any further expense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi leon , well yes I have , there has been a few occasions that we had to go out to dinner and buy take away food which is not necassary,given the fact that we shop every week with fresh produce only to give it away or throw it out , money dosent grow on trees does it
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

You will have to set out the costs that you have incurred and send the account to Westinghouse.

Demand they they compensate you for that amount of money.

If they decide to not pay you, then you can consider taking the matter to Court and seek compensation. It is not one where you would hire a solicitor because it will cost you more than the amount that you are seeking to get back.

Here is some information.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.