Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I was abused (sexually) by my brother when I was 8 years old

Customer Question

I was abused (sexually) by my brother when I was 8 years old and this went on until I was 10. I am now 63 and have just lost my mother in June and i did not do anything because of her and how it would have affected her.
Now I want him to at least acknowledge the trauma he caused, I have been trying to get him to accept responsibility but he refuses to answer any of my texts or letters. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You can report this to the police and they will take a statement.

If they can get enough evidence they should charge him with a criminal offence.

You have to be aware that if they do charge him, and he pleads not guilty, there will be a hearing. You will have to get on the stand and give evidence.

If he is found guilty there is a possibility he can be sentenced to a jail term.