Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I was on a 12 month Good behaviour period and acquired 3

Customer Question

I was on a 12 month Good behaviour period and acquired 3 demerit points from a traffic violation. Now have received a letter stating that my licence will be discqualified for 6 months. Was not aware of this action as A) near completion of clean 12 month GBP, was not told that if I acquired < 2 demerits in this period I would lose licence.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Who sent you the letter and what was the conviction for? Did the court suspend you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I acquired 12 demerit point over 3 years, offered the option of a 12 month Good Behaviour Period OR 3 month licence suspension. When I asked what would happen if I acquired any demerits during this 12 Month period, I was informed that my GBP would double. NOT that I would lose my licence3 for DOUBLE the time > I.E 6 months (not the original 3 months). Letter sent to me by W.A Govt dept of transport. "As a result (of acquiring 3 demerit points over the 12 month GBP) you are now liable to a period of disqualification double that stated the EXCESSIVE DEMERIT POINTS NOTICE served on you" I did not keep this notice as I went into the local DMV to discuss the situation in the beginning. NO information via a document was provided to me (at the DMV) that I can recall. I am still on probation with a NEW job that is*****away and NOT directly accessible via public transport from my home. I am single parent of my 16 y.o. son (who does not have his licence yet) and also for my elderly (86 .yo) and unwell mother. I would be happy to pay a fine and go to court to arrange for a special licence or whatever I can obtain to cover my responsibilities detailed above. THANKYOU
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

What state are you in?

have you driven at all during the disqualification period?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in W.A and I have not had the disqualification initiated as yet as I only received the letter yesterday. What I need to KNOW is ;HOW can I take this further to see if I CAN obtain a extraordinary licence or have my case "heard"? I have been asked to attend a dept of transport office to initiate the disqualification....but I am putting that off until I can gain some assistance/advice
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

You may not be eligible as the court has to have disqualified you

http://www.magistratescourt.wa.gov.au/E/extraordinary_driver_s_licences.aspx?uid=9605-1326-8676-1320

If the Transport department is the one that is disqualifying you then you have to take that to court and have the court overturn the decision.