Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I am going to a hearing tomorrow against my housemate over

Customer Question

I am going to a hearing tomorrow against my housemate over an assault and AVO. I have discussed the matter with him. The police have recommended a 12 month AVO as a punishment. I do not want to see him gaoled, or even severely punished in spite of my injuries, however I was pushed down that route by the hospital staff. What are my options in court? I know I cannot ask for the whole thing to be dropped but is there something I can do? The AVO is untenable in the house, but I would like something, even if it is just a document saying no assault. And what are the consequences of this? My housemate has suggested he could charge me over unrelated issues.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

He will not go to Gaol but he will get a record if he has a charge against him.

He cannot charge you. I would not worry about that.

If he pleads guilty then the court will be more lenient towards him. If not and he runs a hearing they will not be lenient with the penalty and the fine may be higher.