Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My property has been sinking on one side so I had Yarra

Customer Question

My property has been sinking on one side so I had Yarra Valley Water look into it as it has sunk on the side of an easement down my south boundary.
The report has come back that it appears the footings of my house have not been constructed adequately to allow for compaction of the sewer. From what I can tell, the house and sewer easement were constructed at the same time, however Yarra Valley and Whittlesea Council are both saying that they can't confirm when the easement was built as records only go back to 1983, which was when the house was built. I was not the owner of the property at this time, but have obtained a Certificate of Occupancy issued the the City of Whittlesea. Could they be held responsible for signing off on the property?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

You are going to have to get an engineer to see the job ang give you a report on who was responsible in making sure that it was to be built stable.

When the footings were laid they should have been inspected and made sure they complied and if you can get anything about that from council it will help.

But an independent report form an engineer is where you have to start.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.