Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Going through a divorce, the wife wants the amount that was

Customer Question

going through a divorce, the wife wants the amount that was spent on dating sites and prostitutes as a part of the settlement and is requesting all my work expenses to be put in, where do I stand?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

If you spent alot of money on this, then she can ask that it be put back into the pool of assets. It is like gambling losses the law says that money lost is put back.

But I have not heard of it for dating sites and prostitutes.

The law will apply the following steps.

Step 1: Determine what the assets are and their value

This will include all assets and their value as at the day that you are dividing them. It does not matter whose name the assets are in, they will form part of the matrimonial pool. Superannuation entitlements are also included.

Step 2: Determine what contributions you and your Husband made towards the assets.

This includes a consideration of both financial and non-financial contributions. Consideration is given to what assets each of you brought into the marriage as well. The weight given to your initial contribution will be dependent upon the length of your relationship. The longer the relationship the less weight given to the initial contribution.

Step 3: What are each of your future needs.

Consideration is given to your respective ages, your comparitive income earning capacity as well as other factors.

IF these things don't balance equally for each spouse, then an adjustment is made in the percentages.

Step 4: Make an order that is just and equitable between both spouses

You would look at how to divide the assets to achieve the percentage division arrived at after the first three steps. Such as is the house sold, or retained by one spouse who pays the other out, does there need to be a superannuation splitting order, etc