Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I bought a voucher from Groupon degustation dinner. When we

Customer Question

I bought a voucher from Groupon for a degustation dinner for 2. When we went to use it, the merchant scanned the voucher in their app and it says that it was already redeemed. We ended up paying the merchant again. Now Groupon is saying that they cannot give us a refund because the voucher has expired but when we complained earlier in disappointment that our voucher was already redeemed even if we haven't used it yet, they were willing to give us a refund. We were given a reference number for the refund. But for some reason, the customer service person who raised the refund put a different voucher code so instead of the degustation dinner being refunded, they refunded my cake voucher.
So I again told them of the error and a new reference number was issued for the refund of the degustation dinner. I called to follow up to speak to a supervisor but was told that there was no supervisor available as they are in a meeting so ased the customer service when the meeting will finish so I can call back and he told me that there is no guarantee that I will speak to a supervisor. What the? I hang up in anger. Then I received an email saying that they are investigating and to give them more time to investigate. Then finally they sent an email saying that as per their investigation, they cannot help me in anyway as the voucher has expired. I really want to sue this company for so much stress and effort I put in.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

To sue them is not going to be worth the time and effort.

But you should report them to the Department of Fair Trading and provide them all emails etc.

They will be investigated and if it is found that they have acted inappropriately you will get you refund. You should also read their terms and condition on the site to see what the policy is as you have agreed to this when you purchased the voucher.

If it says no refund once expired then you may not have a case.

Usually they have to be used before they expire. If they expire then they are not valid and you lose your money.

If you wish to sue them you can take them to NCAT and complain.

http://www.ncat.nsw.gov.au/Pages/cc/Divisions/consumer_claims.aspx

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards