Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I was a student in Australia from 2009 to 2013. I applied

Customer Question

Hello, I was a student in Australia from 2009 to 2013. I applied through an agency for a graduate temporary 485 visa in March 2013. The agency acted incompetently as the department requested for my medical in July 2013 but the agency did not inform me. By September 2013, I rang the department to change my residential address and I got to know that my graduate 485 was refused because of missing medical and I overstayed my visa. For 2 years I ran from pillar to post to find justice and in September 2015, MARA took action against the agency and cautioned the agency for 2 years. However now I am faced with an exclusion period of 3 years. The agency said that they will refund me the sum of $3850 and will have the exclusion period waived off but once again the agency is acting smartly and send me a refund form to sign whereby the agency clearly states that upon signing this form I will have no right to sue them for compensation. Now my question is if on this basis I can have the exclusion period waive off?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

When you discovered that you had overstayed did you not do anything? You ran?