Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Employment terms and conditions Working permanently with a

Customer Question

Employment terms and conditions
Working permanently with a multi-national engineering company. On each assignment we sign a new recital (terms and conditions) (T&C) for the next project we are working on. Term is longer than 12 months.
Only started in September 2015, on new assignment, and now they want to change terms and conditions to reduce hours and go to a longer work/R&R cycle.
Comment due to changing global conditions.
Are they able to change conditions? As they say, they put this in the T&C as a clause they refer to?
Have been working for same company for nearly 4 years.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

They cannot amend the contract unless you agree to it. No party can amend a contract unilaterally.

If the job no longer exists the contract you have should set out what can happen. You need to look at that in detail about terminations. If it is silent then they can make you redundant or redeploy you in an alternative position provided it is reasonable.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance?