Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Due to my pay not being put in bank on time ,Sper has

Customer Question

Due to my pay not being put in bank on time ,Sper has suspended my licence, its not that I couldn't pay the instalments but it was late that's all. I was in process of moving when the letter was sent to my old address so I'm unable to track where it ended , most likely returned to Sper. They had my mobile on file and only notified me of a problem the day it was due to be suspended. I can afford to double the payments to pay debt back quicker then previously but I'm not in a position to pay a large sum ($9,700) to have my license back . I live on rural property with no public transport and spend 6 days out of 7 alone at home with my son,19,who's only a learner driver. Husband is interstate driver ,and my car is my only link to anything . Sper has stated my bank defaulted payments they took , I also paid extra few over last couple of months also , but my bank statements have shown no record of any default at all from the date the plan began . My question is , Is there a way I can have my instalment plan adjusted and get my licence back ?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

I dont understand the late payment

Did you have an automatic debit?

If the money was not being deducted, what happened to the money?

Unfortunately no. Unless the full amount is paid you will not get your licence back. This has been put in place because of people in the past no honouring the arrangements.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was automatic direct debit , but on my bank statements ,only the payments I made via Bpay and my card have appeared ,so why didn't they contact me sooner ?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

I cannot say why they did not contact you sooner, this is something that you have to ask them.

Also the law puts the onus on you to make sure it is paid not the department.

Are you able to borrow the money and pay it off?