Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Insurance comenced 1950 accident same day 2030 other party

Customer Question

Insurance comenced 1950 accident same day 2030 other party claimed next morning. Insurance company rep phoned gave claim no and excess due to pay 10 days post investigation money paid. Now 6 weeks post accident and 5.5 weeks post excess payment insurance company demanding phone records of driver, father, and home phone 8 days prior and 1 month post accident. If not supplied they will get them at our cost. Also requires past driving records to be supplied.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Have the indicated why they want these documents?

What would you like know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what am I to supply to the insurance company with phone accounts ect, how long do they get to sort this out basically what I have put down in original inquiry. thanks Cheryl.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

You have stated they want "phone records of driver, father, and home phone 8 days prior and 1 month post accident"

I am asking, have they said why and also are you asking if you have to give it to them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no they haven't said why. yes they said they want them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't make any sense. they know that the car was insured 40 minutes post accident. now all of a sudden there seems to be a issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they also want proof of purchase as the car was just brought that night.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

I cannot see the logic in what they are asking for. What calls were made before the accident are not relevant.

You have a right to question them and if they refuse to give you a reason then you can take the matter to the FOS

https://www.fos.org.au/

Was it registered in the name of the insured at the time of the accident?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no just purchased. who is FOS. Sorry would be grateful for any further information you can give me but I have to go to work now. THANK YOU Cheryl.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

You have to supply evidence of the purchase to prove you are the owner. If you do not then they do not have to pay out.

FOS is the Financial Ombudsman Service.

All the best

You are very welcome and thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FOB sent me to you. proof of purchase is already requested by insurance company and I will ask why they req phone records thanks Cheryl.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

You send them evidence of ownership this is important.

The rest I cannot understand at all.