kmslaw
kmslaw, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 15 years legal experience behind me and I graduated from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours in Arts/Law.
72036894

Can a hotel make me pay a $400.00 charge smoking in my room

Customer Question

can a hotel make me pay a $400.00 charge for alleged smoking in my room
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a solicitor in NSW who will help with your inquiry today. It is an offence to smoke in a hotel room - see here for details. That being said, when you enter into a hotel room, you have a contract with the hotel owner that may say that you can be fined for smoking in the rooms. Do you have a copy of the terms and conditions of your entry to the rooms? There may be a clause in there that answers your question. You would have signed something when you took the room. You can attach those terms and conditions here if you wish and I'll take a look.

Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

By the way, under the legislation I have attached in the link above, a hotel is a smoke-free area under Schedule 1.