Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I own a cosmetic medical business in Perth and I have one

Customer Question

Hi, I own a cosmetic medical business in Perth and I have one client who books appointments and is either a No Show or cancels at the last minute. We have a Cancellation Policy on our website. She called a week ago for an appointment and I had instructed staff to take pre payment if she would like an appointment. Initially she told the receptionist is was not her, it was her sister! Her husband called back saying she was too embarrassed to call and would like an appointment. He was informed she would need to pre pay as she had not shown for 17 appointments. She called back to say she was being harassed and would never come to clinic again and would tell all her friends never to come to clinic.
She emailed on the weekend asking for an appointment! (As though nothing had transpired previously!) I replied, as the owner, asking her to pre pay as she has failed to show for a number of appointments. She is now asking if pre payment is even legal?!
She insists she has not missed over 17 appointments, all bookings are recorded in the our computer diary system, from the time reminder sms is sent to the time client replies Y or N or at all and if the client is a No Show, appointment is flagged as such.
What is best course of action/reply.
Cancellation policy
Late cancellations and no-shows impact on us significantly. The time for your treatments is reserved especially for you.
A credit card number is ***** to secure all bookings. Your credit card will only be charged in the case of no-show or cancellations less than 24 hours before your appointment.
If you would like to add, change or cancel any bookings or treatments, please give at least 24hours notice by email or telephone.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

It is not harrassment.

If you have requested it and it is part of your terms and conditions on the website it is legal.

Provided you explain it to all customers then you have no issue.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Define explain, does that mean verbally? Or is at the bottom of all answers to enquiry emails from website and responses and sms confirmation text messages sufficient? Or do we need to have a box to tick before enquiry submitted they must read? And if so, how many actually read that?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

Yes verbally when you make appointments and also if you have a pamphlet you should have it noted on the pamphlet as well.

So when making an appointment all customers are told about the prepayment and they understand that they will lose it if they do not turn up.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

Are you still in need of assistance?