Jared Pereira
Jared Pereira, Lawyer
Experience:  Principal Solicitor at Pivot Business Lawyers
88780605

I wanted a traffic offence to be dealt by the court and have

Customer Question

I wanted a traffic offence to be dealt by the court and have now got a summon to appear but it is causing me so much stress it's making me sick and I have just started a new job.
I want to just pay the fine even though I'm not pleading guilty
Can I just pay the fine now and not go to court
Thank you
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Jared Pereira replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I am a Victorian solicitor. Thanks for your question. Depending on your state, the Summons may have information sent with it as to how you can pay the fine and avoid going to court. If there is, pay the fine and you need not attend. Alternatively, ring the contact number on the Summons to see if it can be dealt with via fine without appearance. However, if there is no option stated, then you have to attend court. If you committed the act, then plead guilty - there is nothing to be nervous about - if you are uncomfortable appearing, then most courts have a "duty lawyer" that can appear for you for free or for a nominal fee, if you decide to plead guilty. Hope this has been of assistance, and if so, please remember to rate my answer. Best regards, Jared.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not what I wNted to know I already have this info the summons does not have s payment option.
I want to know if I can request to pay and end the matter

Hi, apologies if I was not clear. No you cannot. The summons is issued by the court and you are required to appear. But as I said in my previous note, if you are pleading guilty, you may not need to say anything in court - you can engage the duty lawyer, which should put you at ease. I hope this has been of assistance. Regards, Jared