Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

We have a cafe license in Victoria and we feel our landlord

Customer Question

We have a cafe license in Victoria and we feel our landlord has contravene our lease by allowing his friends to bring in alcohol and food to the premises on our leased premises in our redlined boundary, he has done in two years. Can we sue him or seek compensation. We also want to get out of the lease if possible.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

The premises are in your possession and you are the liable ones that control it.

If your licence does not allow alcohol on the premises then you are the ones that are responsible.

The landlord has to give you quiet enjoyment and he cannot control the premises and is in breach of the lease if he does not give you that.

You have to have evidence of his breaches. If you do then you issue him with a notice and if he does not cmply you can sue in VCAT to terminate the lease and also seek compensation.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

I am just following up my last post.

If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards