Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

What authority can I advise in writing regarding the

Customer Question

What authority can I advise in writing regarding the dishonesty of a person who may want to continue to accrue debts and expect me to pay his debts, without publically disclosing his name and my name in the newspapers, please?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello
Please elaborate.
From what you have told me, it appears legal frankly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How did you guess it was legal? I would not have contacted the site except but to receive legal advice regarding a legal matter. I think this is likely to be a useless expensive exercise. To reiterate a dishonourable family member has had the habit of acquiring debts he has always been unable to repay, squandering all my parents hard-earned life earnings. Now he continues with the same habit and I decline to be deprived of my life savings because he cannot live on his pension. I do not want to have to put a public newspaper notice in Legal Notices stating I will not be responsible for my brother's debts. Is there any Australian (Victorian) authority to whom I can make the same statement, not advertised for all to see, yet somehow accessible to all financial institutions offering easy credit etc where they would normally check a client's credit worth? I would appreciate your advice, thankyou.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello
How have you or your parents become liable for debts in his name?
If the debts are in his name only, then you are not obliged to pay anything.
Have your parents passed? Or still alive? How does he use that money to pay off debts?