Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Have purchased on EBay a campervan. Registered in

Customer Question

Have purchased on EBay a campervan. Registered in Queensland. Need to get it registered in NSW. The assessor is unable to find the compliance plate for the pop top The sellers say it has a compliance plate but the one they say is the plate is the Toyota compliance plate not the plate for the alterations to the van. Would we be in order to ask for compensation from sellers. We paid six thousand for a 1987 Toyota Hiace with over 3000 ls on clock. So expected all to be in order
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

What did the sellers add say?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seller say there is a compliance plate on vehicle. A check trvaled there is not
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

If it is in the add and it is false then you can claim against him and sue him.

And you can report it to ebay and ask for a refund if you are not out of time.

Did he send you papers down from QLD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have been on contact with seller They say van has compliance plat. This cannot be found
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

They have to be able to tell you where it is and also provide you with the paperwork from when it was registered in QLD.

It should have the compliant plate information on it.

You can call Toyota and give them the make and model and they will tell you where it is located. If it is not there then the seller is lying to you.

The you can take action against him.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The compliance plate we are looking for is for the conversion from van to camper van there is a Toyota compliance plate on the van but no conversion plate
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

If they did the conversion then they should know where it is. Do you know the company that converted it?

The seller should have provided this all to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. We have asked them for this info. If they cannot supply then are we within our rights to ask them to contribute to the cost of a engineers report approx $1000
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

You can sue them for the money back on the vehicle because they mislead you.

In relation to other costs you can only claim what was required to register the vehicle.

If the engineers report was required for the registration then you can claim it. If not then you cannot claim it. If you undertook it to make sure it was road worthy it is your cost.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you gone
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

I am here