Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

We applied esta son to go to Hawaii other sons wedding and

Customer Question

We applied for an esta for our son to go to Hawaii for our other sons wedding and the esta was declined . We then went for a supposed interview at the American embassy in Sydney and they didn't want to know about it and just said he wasn't going . We are desperate to try and sort something out as we are booked on a flight on Saturday the 10th October. Is there anything else we can do. My name is***** contact no 0421 282333
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Did they say why his application was declined?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really. They would not look at any paper work he had. He even had a letter from a serving NSW police officer stating that she would be travelling with him and they would not even look at that. We can only assume it was because of his minor criminal record. He was issued with a 221(g) refusal letter. We are awaiting for his full police record. We applied for one on Monday 28th Oct, but have not heard anything yet.
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, it is a little known fact that many countries refuse to grant visa's to persons with criminal records. Some countries are more strict than others, and some are more concerned with some types of criminal offences than others. Unfortunately, countries are able to make the decision to exclude such people, and if this decision has been made regarding your son there isn't anything you can do about it except try to pursuade them to make an exception, which it appears they are unwilling to do in your son's case.

All I can suggest is that as time passes and the length of time since your son's offence lengthens, they may be more inclined to grant a visa despite the offence, but there are no guarantees.

I appreciate this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but it does reflect the legal reality of your situation.

Please rate my answer.

Patrick