Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I'm a single mum working 15hrs a week if my boy friend move

Customer Question

hi, i'm a single mum working 15hrs a week if my boy friend move in and live with me will it affect my family benefit part b (hes an apprentice owes 50k aftertax per year and he has 2 investment properties but properties are still owe the bank 80 percent of how much the shops value)
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my self and my 2 girls will not benefit any of his money or what so ever under his name
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Because you will be in a relationship it will affect your income.

I assume you will be living as a couple?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reply. Yes, we will live as a couple. My main concern if family tax part a that's the kids money will that be affect, because I rely on that's money to pay for their school fees as mention earlier we won't b benefit from his money
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

Because you are a couple then his income and your income will be looked at together.

You will lose out on the benefit.

The department is not going to deal wit you as a single person anymore but will deal with you as having a partner/spouse.

They see that as a couple you are sharing expenses and the incomes are combined for the purpose of the benefits. I am sorry but this is how they work. There is no exception.