Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I have a de facto that I left 18 months ago that lived in my

Customer Question

I have a de facto that I left 18 months ago that lived in my home rent/ expense free for four years that is now taking me to court- putting a cavies on the sale of my unit. He had nothing when he came into the relationship and did not contribute to loan repayments at all- he paid the odd electricity bill but I gave evidence from bank statements that I was the sole payer of the loan- has he a case?? HELP
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

It is a short relationship and any split will look at what he has contributed, in order for him to get anything.

You should go back and collect as much evidence to show you made the payments.

Also if he has any assets, including superannuation this is part of the asset pool not just your assets.

He has a case but only for what he has contributed.

The law applies the following steps

1. Consideration of whether a property settlement is necessary

The first important consideration for the Court is to determine whether or not it is actually necessary to proceed with a property settlement.

In the vast majority of cases, the Court will decide that it is just and equitable for there to be a property settlement or a change in the ownership of a property. However, in some cases, the Court will decide that each party should simply keep what they presently own.

This may be because:

• the parties have decided to keep their financial affairs and arrangements totally separate throughout the relationship;
  • the relationship was of a very short duration; or
  • the parties separated many years ago and have organised their affairs on the basis of an informal agreement since that time.

2. Identify and value the assets and liabilities

This involves compiling a list of all assets and liabilities (including superannuation) that are in the individual and/or joint names of you and your former spouse/partner, and attributing a value to them.

Values can be approximate or may be determined by way of a formal valuation, as they should be as accurate as possible. The result should be a table of assets and liabilities which your solicitors will use to determine the value of the total asset pool to be divided.

It is also standard practice to establish what the asset pool was when you first started living together (which may have occurred prior to marriage) to work out any increase in asset values and to establish what each party brought into the relationship (referred to as initial contributions).

3. Assess contributions

Once an asset pool has been established, your solicitor will ask questions about each party’s contributions to the asset pool.

Contributions can be:

• financial (such as by way of income, mortgage payments or inheritances);
  • non-financial (such as labour to undertake renovations); or
  • by way of being a homemaker and parent.

Contributions are usually calculated as a notional percentage, such as 50/50 or 60/40.

4. Assess “future needs”

Once contributions have been assessed, your solicitors (or the court) will consider what are referred to as the “future needs” of both parties. These include:

• the age and health of the parties;
  • the earning capacity of the parties;
  • whether one party will have the care of young children;
  • the duration of the marriage or relationship; and
  • any other relevant consideration.

The assessment of future needs will impact the notional percentage reached in Step 2, so that the percentage split of the asset pool may increase or decrease in favour of one or other of the parties to take into account any relevant future needs factors.

5. Is the division of assets just and equitable?

Taking each of the previous steps into account, your solicitors, or the court, will then consider whether the final division of assets as proposed by the parties is just and equitable in all of the circumstances. This may involve assessing the practical effect of any proposed division of the asset pool.

It is form the following link

http://www.landers.com.au/publications/family-and-relationship-law/property-and-financial-settlements-following-separation-or-divorce/

But his claim is minimal

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

Just following up my last post and seeing if you need any more assistance?