Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

This appears too good to be true! How do mobile network

Customer Question

this appears too good to be true!
How long do mobile network carriers keep sms content? that is to subpoena records on sms content, date/time sent and recipient/sender details. (essentially bolstering photocopies from actual recipients phone? How do we ascertain the carrier the sender was with? how does one apply or who do we direct subpoena to?? supreme court level.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

There is no law but generally they should keep records for 5 years

You have to issue the subpoena to the telephone carrier that the number is ***** with.

Usually you call them and ask details of the department that you serve subpoenae on and they will give you the correct address

You cannot issue a subpoena unless there is a current court action in place.