Brisbane.Lawyer
Brisbane.Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Lawyer of the Federal and High Courts of Australia; Lawyer of the Supreme Court of Qld
75875724

I currently have a partner he is from new zealand and has

Customer Question

I currently have a partner he is from new zealand and has been taking care of his kids. his wife has arrived and taken his kids from him and hes not sure what rights he has he has had them for 2 months now enrolled in school and taking care of there needs. she is still in australia but hes not sure of his rights or how to get them back
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane.Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

He MUST first attempt mediation with his wife... via a Court approved mediator... they can be found here:

http://www.fdrr.ag.gov.au/Search.aspx

If the mediation is successful - great.. if not, he will obtain a certificate of attempted mediation... which he can use to accompany he application to the Court for child custody/parenting orders...

The application forms, etc for an application for child/custody.. parenting orders can be found on the Court website. Please advise if he needs assistance with this...

He should also consider a divorce and property settlement with his presumably ex-wife. Please advise if he needs assistance with this as well?

Kind regards, James