Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

If my rental property was advertised with a four car garage

Customer Question

If my rental property was advertised with a four car garage but the landlord keep a quarter of this space locked up for there own personal storage, could I claim compensation? Also there were several other issues we brought up with the landlord that were not fixed for 9-12 months. There was a leak in the ceiling above the indoor BBQ for 9 months, during this time we could not use the BBQ area when ever it was raining. The shower head had no pressure and dribbled water, the ducted vacuuming system didn't work, several doors would not shut properly etc.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello
You are well without your rights to withhold a 1/3 of the rent till these issues are rectified.
You pay for the use and enjoyment of the property, you are not able to fully use it as such.
1/3 is reasonable, if not more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was not very clear about my circumstances, I have recently broke lease and the majority of these problems were not rectified. I am still paying rent for this property until they find a new tenant, could I claim compensation from the landlords for not rectifying these problems?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Not an issue.
My advice still stands, the amount can still be reduced.