Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I have been legally seperated from my husbane since he left

Customer Question

I have been legally seperated from my husbane since he left our home in April 2011.
I had to sell the family home mortgage including one 38th foot boat which he has and another $420.00 in mortgages and ended up myself with $42,000.00. I am now boarding with a friend and receiving an old age pension as I am 74. I was wondering if I can claim maintenance from my husband as he has been living in a defacto relationship for the last 4 years and they are both still working. Regards ***** *****
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Usually spousal support is applied for at the time of separation and it is not an indefinite entitlement.

Here is some information about spousal maintenance.

http://www.diyfamilylawaustralia.com/Topic/spousal_maintenance_how_calculated.html

You also mention that you have a Binding Financial Agreement.

Was that at the end as you settlement?