Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Just wondering...why would a lawyer repeatedly refuse to

Customer Question

Good evening! Just wondering...why would a lawyer repeatedly refuse to sign a document?
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was also pressured into signing a deed of settlement by their lawyers...what options do I have if I want to challenge it?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

I am lost.

Did you have your own legal representative?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 lawyers actually!!! .Completely useless! My conference was in the QIRC was for an unfair dismissal. My lawyers didn't say a word in the conference, didn't use any of the documents I had provided. They didn't follow any of my instructions, they shoved the deed of settlement in front of me and told me to sign They didn't say anything or explain the deed. All they said was that if I didn't sign it I wouldn't get the money!' DETE were supposed to have supplied me with an investigation report (major part of the dismissal) - they sat on it for 12 months and only give me a copy until 2 days before the conference. I didn't have time to properly respond to it... Hope this makes sense?!?! A friend said something about ;"due process" was not followed???
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

If you believe that your solicitor was negligent then you can complain about them and if they were negligent then you can sue them.

You need to arrange to get your files from both of them and then take them to a Solicitor that practices in Professional negligence, and many of them act on a no win no fee basis.

Once you haver their advise then you can proceed.

You can also complain to the Legal Services Commissioner,

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.

If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leon...Another question for you......
Why would a lawyer refuse to (I've asked them 6 times for a signed copy - no reply), or evade, signing a document that they have
created? Could they be trying to hide something?
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

I cannot comment on why they are refusing.

Maybe, but it is too hard to say.

Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

Just following things up and seeing if there is anything else I can assist you with?

Regards