James D. Ford
James D. Ford, Solicitor
Experience:  Consulting Principal at Nexus Law Group
75875724

I signed a lease 2 bedroom unit 3 days a go and noticed that

Customer Question

I signed a lease for a 2 bedroom unit 3 days a go and noticed that the unit has rusty water.
hot water is brown or yellow which freaks me out. I had a plumber check that out and he said it's most probably the hot water unit ,which is too old and needs to be replaced.
I am going to emil the real state agent about that. But if the issue is not fixed, can I terminate the lease without penalty and move out?
Thank you
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  James D. Ford replied 1 year ago.

Hi, where in Australia is the property?

It could be a material breach of the lease, and if so... if it is not fixed urgently, you will need to put your complaint in writing.. as a notice to remedy breach... once I know where you are located, I will be able to confirm the position, and advise the forms, and timeframes involved.

Was a property inspection and condition report done, and signed by you and the agent before you moved in?

Kind regards,