kmslaw
kmslaw, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 15 years legal experience behind me and I graduated from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours in Arts/Law.
72036894

This is a question Canon Lawyer: I am a 75 yo Catholic

Customer Question

This is a question for a Canon Lawyer: I am a 75 yo Catholic Priest and a member of a religious Congregation (Australia). I made my first vows in the Congregation 1959. When it came to making my Final Vows 3 years later I told the Dirctor of the Semiary that for some time I had not felt prrepared or ready to make a lifelong commitment (Final Vows). I had been persauded to break off my relaytionship with my girlfriend and join the Novitiate in the first place, and after three years in the seminary had wanted to return home, or at least be given more time to consider my vocation. But rerturning to my girlfriend was high on the agenda. At least I wanted more time. I presented my case and concern to the director some time during a retreat prior to my vows. I had not had a happy relationship with my director for a long time starting off as a young 14 year old boy in the Junior seminary where he was dircetor, and then during my seminary. He considered me slow and incompitent and a dreamer. .Without even asking me to come and talk abbout my concerns or sit down, he simply left me standing at the door and shouted to me I was a dreamer and all I needed was a 'good kick up the pants. Go and make your vows'. Some 1 and a half years ago I have been on exclaustration from the Congregation., following an earlier period of exclaustration and attempted marriage. I was still involved with a woman. I thought the best was exclaustration and annulment of my vows due to lack of real desire to make my vows and the bullying of an impressive director. I thought I was stupid and he must be right. But in myself I did not want to continue, and felt forced and aginst my will. I now want annulment, although staying a priest (probably just retired but not bound anymore to the Congregation) Have I grounds for annulment and how do I go about getting one?? Laurie.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am going to help you with your inquiry today. In order to help you with it, I need to find my Canon Law textbook: these questions don't come up very often so I have put it somewhere. I will start looking for it now and come back to you, hopefully after 10am today. Is that satisfactory for you? I'm fairly certain another expert wouldn't be able to answer this question for you anyway.

Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I've found the textbook. I'll just look up the answer now.

Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

You have to send a libellus to the congregation in which you were ordained in order to challenge the validity of sacred ordination. Once sent, you cannot exercise orders by the law itself. Once you send it, the congregation will decide whether the congregation of the Roman Curia itself or a tribunal designated by it must handle the case. Let me just check on whether you have grounds. I'll be back in a moment.

Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I cannot find the grounds for an annulment. I will opt out of this question for you so that another expert can assist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou for trying...