kmslaw
kmslaw, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 15 years legal experience behind me and I graduated from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours in Arts/Law.
72036894

I would like to know if my husband has right to sign half of

Customer Question

I would like to know if my husband has right to sign half of his assets to his relative without my agreement we are still married but I do not want him to give away this asset.
Am I able to legally do something about it. His says he has legally right to do that.
Thank you.
Regards,
Romey
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am kmslaw and I will do my best to answer your question today. Are re you talking about your husband's will? Because if so, your husband has every right to leave to whom he wants his assets at the date of death. However if the asset is also in your name jointly as joint tenants then if he dies first then it will revert to you then your will will leave it to whom you choose. Actually technically the only way he can do this if it is not in his will but before he dies, is if the asset is as tenants in common or solely in his name because it would require your signature also if it was jointly in your name. What kind of asset is it?