Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

Our local newspaper printed an article about teenagers

Customer Question

Hi, our local newspaper printed an article about teenagers drinking etc and included my sons name, hi is 16. They also placed a photo of him in the paper. We did not consent to this? what can I do?
My son is hired by party goers to take pictures at parties and he puts the pics on his web page for viewing. He was not and does not drink alcohol. The newspaper used a pictures from his web page for their article also without permission.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

If the newspaper referred to your son and/or used a photo of him in a way that implied he was drunk or otherwise behaving badly in a way that he was not, then you very likely have grounds for a defamation case against the newspaper.

If that is the case then you could potentially take legal action to recover compensation, or to order them to publish an apology.

How much damages you might recover will depend on the extent to which the article has damaged your son's reputation.

To pursue such a claim you will need to engage a lawyer familiar with defamation law and if you need help locating such a lawyer contact the Queensland Law Society as they can refer you to suitable lawyers in your area.

http://www.qls.com.au/Home

I trust the above assists.

Good luck and please rate my answer.

Patrick