Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

Trading name to use

Customer Question

trading name to use for business
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a business name register for abc cleaning melbourne. I want to use a different trading name such as abc lawn mowing. is this ok?
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Provided you are the sole owner of the business, you should simply register the new business name and start trading under the new name for the whole business or whatever aspect of the business you choose.

If you are in a partnership, or operating through a company with other shareholders, then you will need to seek the approval of the other parties involved first.

I trust the above assists.

Good luck and please rate my answer.

Patrick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i have 10 businesses such as gardening, cleaning, duct cleaning, catering, loans etc. I have to register 10 times?
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

You can treat all your businesses as one, or you can have multiple business names to reflect the diversity of your business operations. The later is usually best for marketing reasons, but legally you don't have to have different business names for every business activity you conduct.

Please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to have different names on my invoices for different purposes.is this ok?
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
provided they are all registered names.
Please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to register 10 different businesses?
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

You are obliged to register any business name you use with the public, and therefore if you wish to use a different business name for each of your business activities, they must each be registered.

Please rate my answer.

Thanks,

Patrick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
like jims group, he has to register each specialties such as bookkeeping , cleaning and mowing
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
Please rate my answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But when i did a search on asic. Only jims group is there
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

I suspect you aren't doing the search correctly. Organisation and business name searches produce many pages of Jims related business names. Jim's Group is a corporation, of which there are many fewer than business names.

http://www.asic.gov.au/

Please rate my answer.