Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Travel Insurance - I have bought policies from Allianz via

Customer Question

Travel Insurance - I have bought policies from Allianz via the internet for several years and have previously checked by phone that, as a temporary resident, I was eligible for their product and have been assured I was.
Sometime in the last two years Allianz changed conditions to exclude me because I don't hold a Medicare card, I was unaware of this change and have bought at least six policies from them since the change, (the change did not result in a question on the internet proposal for a Medicare card number), most recently Allianz have advised me that although my wife is now in Europe, with their travel insurance policy, she is not covered and they will not pay any claim, i.e. they are not on risk. Can I reasonably expect them to refund me the premiums I have paid since they changed their Ts & Cs please?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Are they saying there was never any cover or just for the current period?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have not told me there is no cover for previous policies, only in respect of the current policy my wife is/was covered by whilst in Europe, until 29th Aug. Their Ts & Cs say that, without a Medicare card, there is no cover, so, by extrapolation, they were not 'on risk' for any policy I bought after they changed their terms and conditions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
Will have an answer later this evening.