James D. Ford
James D. Ford, Solicitor
Experience:  Consulting Principal at Nexus Law Group
75875724

I have a friendship with a Malaysian national. born and hold

Customer Question

I have a friendship with a Malaysian national.
I am Australian born and hold a New Zealand Passport.
My friend, James has been here on business; and is now
wanting to retire here in Australia.
He is anticipating applying to purchase a residential property.
Initially, I see myself as his personal assistant.. and friend, but
if our relationship develops beyond this... do we have to have evidence for any 'specific' length of time; prior to say, our names both being on a 'house ' purchase; and or
becoming engaged, with intention to marry?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  James D. Ford replied 1 year ago.

Hi, can you please advise what it is you are seeking advice on?

I assume it a question in relation to James' visa options... longer term? what visa is he on now? how long has he been in Australia? as the visa he is currently on.. could have permanent visa options attached to it...

There are a number of visa options.. and as you have indicated... as your relationship could go either way... there is a Prospective Marriage Visa (sub-class 300) that allows 9 months for you to marry... however.. you must be overseas when you apply, and stay overseas until the visa is granted... already be in a relationship... have evidence of the relationship... and an intention to marry.... which it sounds like is not currently the case...

With regard to any specific length of time.. no.. the law does not mandate that you must be in a relationship for any specific length of time before you buy a property together, or become engaged with intention to marry...

Kind regards, James