Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I have purchased a 'time share' type investment while in bal

Customer Question

I have purchased a 'time share' type investment while in bali from a group called Karma Royal Group. We had to put $4000 deposit with a balance of $12000 to pay by 24th aug. At the time they first informed us we didn't have to pay anything for 30 days then came up with this deposit later, unfortunately my husband had had to leave so I haad to make the decision at the time. The told us this membership could be sold back and we would get our money back plus 20%, I have asked for confirmation of this after going through the contract and even though I asked the question at the time there is no mention of it. I sent 3 emails to 3 different people and when I finally got a call back she said we could sell it through a broker which obviously does not guarantee what you will get back. One of the main reasons for purchasing was the assurance that we could sell it back down the track but they are now saying they don't get involved in that. I have to make the balance of the payment by the 24th or loose my deposit anyway. Is there any way I can get my deposit back?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.The contract is only valid in Bali and they will not do anything to you. Cancel your credit card now. You will have to go to Bali to get your money back as the contract is covered by their laws and you would have to show they mislead you in Indonesia. The chances of getting your money back are slim and it will cost you more to sue them than the deposit. You will see in the contract there is no termination clause and no refund clause. So what you have been told is not valid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they do have offices in perth and uk which is why i thought they would come under our law, they said everything is underwritten or whatever it is they do in the uk because of the volatile nature of bali
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok well that wasn't very helpful