Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am trying to find out about conditional gifts. I gave a girlfriend a tv on the day befor

Customer Question

I am trying to find out about conditional gifts. I gave a girlfriend a tv on the day before her birthday saying it was hers as long as she didn't break up with me in a few weeks or something, she broke up with me yesterday and I have been trying to recover the tv.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,The law will question whether it is a gift or not. If it is not a gift then the conditions apply. If it is a gift then it is meant to be owned by the other party. You can sue her for the TV but you will find if you use a solicitor it will cost you more than the TV.It is your word against hers as to what the agreement was and the court will have to decide whose story is more credible. It appears to me that it was not a gift. It was for her to use so long as you stayed together. If you did not remain as a couple then you were to get it back. This is what you would be setting out in your case to the court. I hope this is of assistance and if there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,
I wish to follow up my last post. If there is nothing further please do not forget to rate my work as this is how I am paid.
I also wish to thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Regards
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,
I am following up my last post and I hope it was of assistance.
I am only paid if you rate my work. As such I wish to thank you for using my services.
Regards