Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

The dividing fence between my property and next door needs

Customer Question

The dividing fence between my property and next door needs replacing of which I have been paid by my insurance.next door stated they don't have fence insurance and said that I have to erect a retaining wall and it is my responsibility.my land is higher than theirs,by law am I lible to do so.I live on a hill and the house is 16 years old.Their house is a lot older and they erected the fence many years ago themselves and there is nothing there side to support the fence. I am very stressed as I want it resolved.The woman and her daughter have tried to bully and intimadate me saying I am totally responsible to do the work.Can u give me any advise on where to go from here.many thanks gayle mcqueen
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf they have dug into the property however and manipulated the land then they are liable. If not, then generally it is split. http://www.lawhandbook.sa.gov.au/ch31s04.phpAlthough this is from a South Australian Site in the link above, it gives great info. In respect of the matter,