Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Recently returned to Australia after working years in

Customer Question

Recently returned to Australia after working for 17 years in Hong Kong. I amassed considerable debt there and my sole income is a small Australian CSS pension which will not even cover the repayments each month. Bankruptcy seems the only way out though I'd like to limit it to Hong Kong and not Australia. I have virtually no assets other than 50,000Aud from an MPF fund. This amount is still well below what I owe and is required for living expenses. I was wondering is their any way to protect these funds such as transferring to Australia. Any advise would be appreciated, Sincerely, ***** *****
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.You can declare bankruptcy but you will have to be in HKIf you are in HK you have to disclose all your assets and they will not let you leave. The MFP fund you make mention of, is that a super fund or do thou have access to it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MPF cash payout
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, You will have to disclose it to them. But the issues I have pointed out are the main ones. Are they chasing you in Australia?