Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I have further question about voluntary redundancy - how

Customer Question

I have further question about voluntary redundancy - how does it work in Victoria? In the redundancy package my work calculated (not the formal notice), they stated 6 weeks redundancy pay plus 4 weeks notice pay, plus whatever untaken annual leave i have
left. Now my work is surprised to hear i want to take voluntary redundancy as they intended to keep me. They wanted to take out 4 weeks notice pay from above calculation. Can they do that?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,It is the same in the whole of australia. There are minimum standards set out by the Fair Work Act if your award or agreement has better conditions then you are covered by that.Here is the link for you setting out the notice period and the amount for redundnacyhttp://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/policies-and-guides/fact-sheets/minimum-workplace-entitlements/notice-of-termination-and-redundancy-payIf they are offering redundancy to all employees then you have a right to apply. If it is not offered to all and only a few then you cannot take it. If they are giving your redundancy they have to pay the notice period. I hope this makes sense, and they also have to pay Long Service leave if you are eligible.