Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

By what virtue can I place a caveat on a property, when the

Customer Question

by what virtue can I place a caveat on a property, when the deposit was returned to the owner without consent of the buyer, for which the owner terminated the contract after the bank financing had pulled out as the buyers were terminated from their employment
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.If the contract permitted the buyer to terminate the contract if finance was not approved., and it was terminated in time then the deposit should have been returned to the buyer. If it was not then the buyer can place a caveat on title to protect their interests being the deposit. The buyer has an equitable interest in the property under the contract to the value of the deposit. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon