Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am a member of a club and this is the wording in the Rules

Customer Question

I am a member of a club and this is the wording in the Rules of Association:
“Nominations for the Executive Committee positions are open initially only to members who have both served on the Committee and been financial members of the Association for more than one year. If vacancies remain on the Executive Committee, additional nominations may be accepted from the floor of the annual general meeting.”
My question is with this wording and grammar, can I nominate a member for an Executive Committee position initially,who has been a financial member for more than a year and served on the committee for less than a year?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.My reading of it is they have to have been a member for 12 months and also served on the committee. I do not read it to say that you have to have served for 12 months. This is my interpretation. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon