Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

My mother/step father and I bought a house approx 10 years

Customer Question

My mother/step father and I bought a house approx 10 years ago. Since then I have lived in it and paid the bank mortgage and monthly rent to my mother/step father. I have also paid all rates, insurances, repairs & maintenance on the property. I have since sold the house as it was financially too much for me to maintain. My mother/step father are asking for their half of the sale. My question is what is the right answer? This is difficult as it is family abd no paperwork exists for any transactions. Please help me make this situation right. Thank you.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
HelloWhos name was the title in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name only.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Well if it is in your name, they really have no claim, both legally or equitably.There are not entitled to anything. But of course you are allowed to give them a token sum if you feel you should.