Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Im a Queensland resident I have just been issued with a summons

Customer Question

Im a Queensland resident I have just been issued with a summons from a vicitorian debt collector, my local solicitor said they cannot help me as they are not regristed in Victoria.
All I want to do is to make a payment arrnange ment, I run a small business but the downturn in the last year. I have only netted under $10,000.00 or less a year I do not have any assests at all,
Could you please advise me as to how I can address my current problem
Merle
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Brisbane.Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi Merle, I assume the claim is valid, and you do not dispute any of the amount being claimed. Is that right? Can you please describe what attempts have already been made to enter a payment arrangement with the debt collector? You mention you have tried to offer them $200 a month... do you know what they would accept? Have you provided your financial details to the Debt Collector? Are you or your business insolvent? Is the claim against you personally, or your company/trading trust (if you are not a sole trader)? How much is the claim for? do you have any other unpaid debts? I await your responses, kind regards, James