Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Howdy i need to dissolve a NZ civil union but both parties

Customer Question

howdy i need to dissolve a NZ civil union but both parties are AU citizens - so question is what needs to happen as on the NZ site at least one party needs to domiciled in NZ. So does it need to be dissolved?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.Dissolving the union is all dependent on where they are located. If they are in NZ it has to be done under their laws. In Australia you can end the union by entering a by separation and after 2 years it is over. You can also enter into a Separation Agreement between you which also finalises the property between you, if it is in australia. But the country you are living in is where you do this not the country you are citizens of. Here is some information. http://www.armstronglegal.com.au/family-law/separation/I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon