Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I am paying an invoice incurred while using a lawyer to defend

Customer Question

I am paying an invoice incurred while using a lawyer to defend me in a lawsuit, when I instructed the lawyer he said to me that my assumption that the person suing me was a third party to the contract was not correct, therefore he suggested that we negotiated with the other party, but later on someone successfully established that they were not legally entitled to sue anyone as they were a third party to the contract, because they bought the company after the matter. How do I dispute the invoice?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
HelloI would write to the lawyer demanding non payment as their legal advice was incorrect and they were negligent. I would file a complaint with the legal services commissioner / law society in your state should they press for payment. It would be unethical of them to pursue the debt, seeing as though they were incompetent to find such an obvious defence that they had no standing.