Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

After working company years, I became a contractor

Customer Question

After working for a company for 10 years, I became a contractor for that company in inspection of power poles. I was being retrained with their appointed mentors and missed some crucial defects that their mentors also did not notice. After spending over $60,000 in setup costs they now have terminated my contract, have I any kind of leg to stand on. In my contract it says that they we would have to give each other written termination notice of 2 weeks inwhich they did not, they stood me down for 2 weeks pending so called investigation, then I had to chase them on numerous occasions to finally be told over the phone that My company was terminated.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.You need to look at the contract and see whether they have breached the contract in anyway with their actions. If not then it appears they can terminate it for no reason by giving you 2 weeks notice. If you were only working for them and noone else then you can argue the contract is a sham and that you are really an employee and you have been unfairly dismissed. It is a tricky matter but some contracts are not valid. Here is some information about what Fair Work Sayshttp://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/policies-and-guides/fact-sheets/rights-and-obligations/contractors-and-employees-whats-the-differenceYou have 21 days to file your application.