Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

The landlord of our business property has just had a large

Customer Question

The landlord of our business property has just had a large septic tank repair which required large machinery onto our property to dig up the septic tank and pipes from our building and another large building on the property (not leased by me). The landlord has sent me and the other 2 business owners who lease work shops as well, a copy of the invoice he received from the plumbers who did the work. The invoice is addressed to him and he has divided the cost $3,707 between the 3 workshops and himself (as a show of goodwill). The invoice states clearly that the problem was caused by the age of the drains and by the septic tank and drains being infested by the roots of a palm tree. This tree was planted by the landlord over 20 years ago. One tenant has been in situ for approx. 4 years, another 2 years and myself 18 months. My neighbour and I share a toilet within my workshop so there are actually only 2 toilets. He has demanded payment within 7 days. We are one man businesses not huge conglomerates.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good EveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.Does your lease say you are liable for the maintenance of the plumbing?