Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

We are a sole trader cleaning company in WA we have a traveling

Customer Question

We are a sole trader cleaning company in WA we have a traveling crew that is employed to work at a large variety of unfixed addresses and premises. We provide a vehicle that for most of the time we have them collect from our office location. Do we need to pay these employees traveling for the time they spend in the vehicle? According to the state award this is a really grey area. Any advise is really appreciated.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.If they are collecting the vehicle from your premises and then going to the site they start from the time they collect the vehicle and you should be paying them for the travel. It would be deemed that they start employment from the time they reach your offices and end at the time they drop the vehicle back at your premises. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so I am completely clear regarding this aspect, what if they take a vehicle home with them and leave from home, or they collect other workers that do not come to the office? they also do not have fixed work places as casual employees, it could be a local job or a job that is a 1.5 hour drive or a 15min drive etc
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, If you give them the vehicle and they use it to go to work then they start work when they reach the job not travelling to the job. The laws are the same for casual, partite and full time employees.