Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I have just been charged with assault occasioning bodily harm

Customer Question

I have just been charged with assault occasioning bodily harm & I was hit first. Both sides of the story differ & I was wondering if I plead guilty, as I have no money to go to court, will I go to jail? First offence ever, I am 44?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.It all depends on how bad the injuries were. If you plead guilty then the court will be lenient on you and the sentence less than if you are found guilty after a trial. If there is any doubt in the courts mind they will not find you guilty.You have to speak to legal aid and get some advise. I would also suggest you enter a plea of not guilty and get a copy of the brief so you can know what their evidence is. You can then change your plea later. This will not go against you. I suspect you will not go to jail but you will have a conviction against you if you plead guilty and this will result in difficulties travelling and also in some work you may want to do. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance?