Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am going to court on 21 July in Mackay as I have been accused

Customer Question

I am going to court on 21 July in Mackay as I have been accused of negligent driving causing death. The deceased was in a wheelchair following a stroke and was known to have suicidal tendencies. This event happened in September 2014. I first appeared in court in May 2015 with a legal aid representative and pleaded not guilty. My legal aid representative said that I would not have legal assistance in the future unless I paid for a lawyer. I am unemployed and living with my sister in Canberra. I will be representing myself at the July hearing. How best can i be prepared for this? Are there any lawyers who can provide assistance pro-bono?
Regards
Mark
M:(###) ###-####
E:***@******.***
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon, My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.Is it for a trail or to reply to the police brief?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reply to a police brief
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brief of Evidence was given to me by the legal aid officer which I have some questions about and intent to ask these at the court appearance on 21 July.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening. The court will not answer the questions or entertain that. The Court will want to know if you are still pleading not guilty now that you have it and will continue with setting the matter for trial. Have you read it all? Do you question the statements in it? If so then you would want to call the people that made them to be cross examined.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please use the credit card details provided for the AU$73 required to proceed.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good EveningI am sorry I cannot contact you at the moment. Can continue on here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks,
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening. Do you have any assets? I do not understand why legal aid will not act for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - not even a car and I didn't understand why legal aid wouldn't assist me either. It seems that I will have to continue by myself and hope for the best.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
Good Evening, What I suggest you do is call the law society of QLD and get a referral to a Solicitor that practices in criminal law. Ask them to give you names of Solicitors that will take on legal aid work. Here is an application form for Legal Aid. http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/services/Documents/LAQapplicationform.pdfThe law society website is as follows:http://www.qls.com.au/HomeIf you do not get an approval by the 21 you attend and see the legal aid solicitor on duty for assistance. They have to help you on the day. You can ask for an adjournment because you have applied for legal aid and have no solicitor to buy yourself some time. But have your application lodged before then. The Solicitor you speak to can assist and seek to be appointed. You can also speak to the Law Society about their probono shcemehttp://www.qls.com.au/For_the_community/You_your_solicitor/QLS_Pro_Bono_Referral_ServiceI hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Leon.
Cheers.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.
All the best with it.